Thursday, April 11, 2019

Slice of Life #2 - Neighbors Of Yesterday

            I have always lived in Berwyn. I have always and forever spent my days in the same home, lifestyle, and people. I’ve known these people, the neighbors, my whole life. Today, like always I greeted them. Most of them are elderly without family, but with a healthy (lonely) lifestyle. They are of all types. For instance, the German elder who lives across from me, Olga, is a Holocaust survivor. My other (and 2nd favorite) neighbor is a Muslim computer IT. She is very special to me. When I was younger, she'd always refer to me as, ‘princess’. Mr. William; he doesn't do much. And then other elders are pretty angry and mean. I have other neighbors as well. One is a secretary by day and baker at night.


          There is also a family with an only child. We always get invited to their dwelling. They have two dogs, Frijolito and Scarlet. They're adorable! Scarlet likes to cuddle and is very friendly with kids. She sometimes begs me to play with her like we used to. Unfortunately, I can't because i'm allergic to dogs.


Oh, and the couple who lives next door with a black cat. That cat hates me.


         Though, today I saw the neighbors that I usually see - the Manchaca family and the crazy dog lady. I love the Manchaca residence; they are my second family. The leader, who is also named Olga, is the mother of my best friend, Elyza (she doesn't attend Heritage). We’d always do everything together - go ice skating, play, have sleepovers. Though, of course with our little sisters who we adore.


           But then there is the crazy dog lady. She looks to be rather gentle and sympathetic. When I was younger, she would carry her two puppies in a cheap umbrella stroller. Now, she has a rather fancy stroller. It's an old fashioned baby carriage; very elegant. The puppies are fluffy and white as snow. Like most of my other neighbors, she is also lonely.


          Overall, I look at my elderly neighbors, and as selfish as this might sound, I tell myself: I never want to be like them. For as long as I can remember, they’ve always been on their own. Independence is great, but there is a difference between that and loneliness. When i'm older, I don't want to be by myself, I want to be surrounded by the people I love.


Always and forever, Natalia Nicole A.

No comments:

Post a Comment